AMERICAN Aaron Peirsol smashed his own world record in defending his 100m backstroke Olympic crown yesterday.

The 25-year-old carved 0.35 seconds off his mark with a time of 52.54 and admitted his delight in a one-two American finish as Matt Grevers took silver in 53.11.

Russian Arkady Vyatchanin and Australian Hayden Stoeckel both took the bronze medal with a dead-heat of 53.18.








Peirsol, had lowered his own world record at the US trials in Omaha last month and the reigning world champion has now broken the 100m backstroke world mark five times since his victory in Athens four years ago.

But he said the exertion of winning his fourth Olympic gold medal took its toll.

“It doesn't get any easier, to be honest,” said Peirsol.

“The knowledge and experience you have done it once and can probably do it again does help. That is what I tried to keep in mind, but I really wanted to race and the guys around me pushed me to what I did today.”

“The best thing about it was having Matt right behind me, we wanted an American 1-2 finish.” – AFP.